At the University of Stirling, being the difference is in our DNA – providing education with a purpose and carrying out research that helps to shape society.
We are an international university with a pioneering spirit and a global reputation for high-quality teaching and research. We are passionate about creating impact in everything we do.
Stirling is a place where ability – not background – is valued.
Making our impact by thinking differently
Since our founding in 1967, the University of Stirling has always been driven by transformative thinking and a spirit of innovation. Our mission is to do everything we can to give our students the knowledge and expertise to make their impact in the world.
Everything we do makes a positive difference to people's lives. We are an agent for change, connecting people, innovating and transforming the lives of our students, staff and the global communities we serve. We have a constant desire to innovate and improve in order to make a difference to society. It’s how we’ve earned our global reputation for high-quality teaching and internationally acclaimed research.
Stirling research: changing lives
Our aim is simple. From feeding the world to using psychology to catch criminals, we want to tackle the global issues of our time. Our multi-disciplinary researchers challenge assumptions, innovate thinking and find solutions.
Our research themes are:
- Living Well
- Cultures, Communities and Society
- Global Security and Resilience
To be recognised across the world as a University that addresses the needs of society through innovative and interdisciplinary research; learning and teaching of the highest quality; and by sharing our knowledge with the world.
Our contribution and approach are defined by:
- Developing people and helping society through the pursuit and understanding of knowledge. We create the conditions for innovative, interdisciplinary research, and communicate what we have learned to the wider world in a clear and useful manner.
- Transforming the lives of our students and staff by giving them opportunities to reach their full potential intellectually and emotionally; by making them resilient and giving them the skills they need for the modern world; and by instilling in them a sense of responsibility to promote public good.
- Creating global citizens, working in partnership with governments, business and industry, the public and third sectors, and colleagues in other institutions, to identify and meet the changing needs of society.
Leading the way globally in our areas of research expertise and through the delivery of an outstanding learning experience.
Being open in all we do, communicating the work and worth of the University to the wider world, and engaging people in the delivery of our vision.
Growing the University in innovative ways, embedding sustainability, and making it a role model for the sector.