The MBA program at the University of Puerto Rico Rio Piedras is designed for busy professionals who want a solid business foundation geared towards ethical decision making with an emphasis on innovation, technology, and an international perspective. Courses are taught in the evening and our new structure allows students to complete the degree in two years.
To be an MBA program of outstanding quality; our graduates will be business leaders with excellent capabilities, motivation, creativity, and professionalism.
To develop competent leaders and business managers in the practice and integration of entrepreneurial and administrative sciences; and to promote global perspectives, social responsibility, and ethics in business studies.
1. Pre-term modules. (2 5000 level credits).
Students take two 1 credit courses before the start of their first semester.
2. Core courses. 10 courses (30 credits).
- ADMI 6510: Decision Theory
- ADMI 6531: Management and Leadership
- ADMI 6595: Global Strategic Management
- ADMI 6637: Business Ethics and related topics
- CONT 6501: Accounting for Analysis and Control
- ECOG 6567: Managerial Economics
- FING 6501: Corporate Finance
- GEOP 6539: Operations Management
- MECU 6551: Fundamentals of Statistics
- MERC 6541: Marketing Management
3. Electives. 12 credits of graduate level courses from the UPR-RP. At least 6 credits from EGAE courses. Students can take all electives at the EGAE. Electives will be offered based on student demand and availability of resources. Students that are interested in a focus area can opt to complete all elective courses from a recommended course set (EGAE courses).
Note on course replacements: Students that have a bachelor in business (or related field) can request that the related core course be replaced by an elective in that area. However, this elective will not count towards the 12 credits of required electives. For example, a student with a BBA in Marketing can request to take MERC 6705 (Advanced Marketing) in lieu of MERC 6541 (the core course). Similarly, a student with a bachelor's in Industrial Engineering can request to take GEOP 6735 (Supply Chain Management) in lieu of GEOP 6539 (the core course). Contact the MBA coordinator to discuss specific cases.
Specific Requirements for the Master Program
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent from a highly recognized university.
- Minimum 3.00 GPA on a four-point scale.
- Graduate School Admission Test (EXADEP) with a minimum score of 550, or the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) with a minimum score of 400.
- Courses in mathematics, including integral and differential calculus (must have attained at least “C”).
- Capacity for critical analysis.
- Verbal and written proficiency in Spanish and English.
- Aptitude for developing and understanding quantitative and conceptual models.
Documents Required for the Application for Admission
- Application for Admission to Graduate Studies in electronic format.
- Graduate School Admission Test (EXADEP) or the Graduate. Management Admission Test (GMAT).
- Two official transcripts with degree certification from the institution where the degree was obtained or from the Ministry of Education of the country of origin.
- Certification that the foreign institution where the degree was obtained is recognized by the government of the country of origin, if applicable.
- Two Recommendations for Graduate Studies from professors in electronic format or paper.
- An essay about student's background and personal profile, the motivation for enrolling in the school.
- If necessary, interview with the Admissions Committee.
- Medical certificate form for the Office of Medical Services of the Río Piedras Campus.
- Payment for application for admission, readmission, or transfer.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), for foreign students.
Program taught in: