If your career plan includes securing a high-level management position or becoming a successful entrepreneur, our Master of Business Administration (MBA) will open the doors for you to work anywhere in the world and ultimately prove that you are an expert within your industry.
Our intensive course, designed to integrate your own work-based learning, will teach you the academic rigour, skills and ethics to be a leader in the business community who can think logically and independently to make high-end decisions.
The MBA is internationally considered the gold standard of business degrees and on our course, you will explore contemporary business and management principles and learn how to apply them to genuine situations, using real-world case studies – from local to international business level.
Why Choose the University of Cumbria
You will be taught by tutors with a wealth of international business experience, who have worked for organisations such as the UN and as professional consultants.
We ensure that your learning in business management, operations, planning and finance is relevant to the current global economic climate and that you are kept up-to-speed with the latest thinking in management research.
- Study in our business school where you will meet like-minded people, creating a beneficial network for your future career;
- Our strong links with regional businesses and with partnerships nationally and internationally boosts networking and employment prospects;
- Option to study part-time if you are currently employed and would like to continue in your job while gaining a masters;
- Tutorials and seminars are in small groups and with a personal tutor support system, it means we get to know you well;
- Opportunity to complete a piece of postgraduate research on a specific area, which interests you;
- Learn in a ‘global classroom’ alongside international students, so you experience a social and cultural understanding of practice in other countries, a boost if you want to work on an international level;
- Tutors are involved in international research, keeping your learning right up-to-date;
- Great pastoral care to support you while you live and learn with us;
- Build on your own workplace skills;
- Gain credibility with a Gold Standard business degree.
Our aim is for you to graduate with a globally-recognised MBA, which proves you with the understanding of contemporary business and management principles and the current issues affecting organisations.
It will stand you in excellent stead to secure business sustainability and give you the confidence to make high-end business decisions and the potential to become a leader in your field.
This course is also available part-time.
An MBA is the primary management qualification for aspiring business leaders, giving you the skills and knowledge to progress your career to more senior levels or give you a stepping-stone to a new career.
Our MBA programme is designed to integrate your own learning and development in a work-based situation into six core modules of academic theory and practice. You will complete individual and group-based assignments that will develop your knowledge and understanding of the materials covered and how these apply in an organisational context.
There will also be a case-study/presentation project enabling you to apply a range of theories and knowledge to a real problem in your organisation, allowing you to reflect on your own management style and organisational performance.
- Leadership & Organisation Behaviour
- Strategic Thinking
- Finance for Managers
- Sustainability Issues in Business
- Marketing Planning
- Information and Operations
- Research Methods for Business and Management
- Independent Project
1st or 2nd class honours degree.
Students with other qualifications may be admitted to the course. Please contact the Enquiry Centre for further details.
Applicants would be expected to have the following:
1st or 2nd class honours degree or equivalent and at least two years of post-graduation work experience.
An MBA is the primary management qualification for aspiring business leaders and our full-time MBA is designed for those who already have at least two years post-graduation work experience and wish to invest in a programme that will give graduates the skills and knowledge to build on their existing work experience to establish, sustain and progress a successful managerial or professional career to more senior levels.
Applications without standard qualifications must demonstrate:
- The capacity for theoretical debate;
- A high level of motivation;
- The capacity for independent study;
- The ability to achieve the proposed programme of work;
- Students for whom English is not their first language must have achieved IELTS 6.5 (with a minimum 6 in each component).
About the School
We are the University of Cumbria, where the impossible is made possible. A distinct university in a unique place that has inspired generations to conquer the problems of their age.