Thank you for your interest in our MBA programme!
Here you will find all the important information about it
The EMBA starts twice a year, end of April and end of October. The application deadline is always 1 month before the start of the programme.
Entry requirements for the Executive MBA
- Minimum 3 years of relevant management experience and a suitable qualification (university or university of applied sciences degree)
- If you don’t have a university degree 6-10 years management experience is required
- Interview & written admissions test required (no TOEFL and no GMAT required)
The overall fee for our 2-year Executive MBA in Switzerland is CHF 57,000.-.* Payment in 4-semester installments of CHF 14,250.- each is common.
All costs are covered (e-books, exams, etc.) with the exception of the travel & accommodation costs if students choose to do their electives at another centre or on the main campus.
* since 1.1.2016 cost for education is tax deductible up to CHF 12'000 p.a.
The MBA Programme
How You Can Study for the MBA?
The Strathclyde University MBA in Switzerland, involves a flexible style of delivery incorporating part-time and open learning elements in a 180 credit format (90 ECTS).
Students can stay in their jobs and take their entire course in just two years. At the Swiss Centre, the workshops take place on weekends twice a month. This makes our programme a viable alternative both for you, the individual, and for your company.
This part-time mode of delivery consists of a variety of learning methods:
- Face-to-face teaching by Strathclyde University lecturers
- All course materials provided by Strathclyde University
- Regular local support by Swiss Management Forum
- Self-directed learning with specially prepared core learning materials available online
- Assignments and examinations set and marked or validated by Strathclyde University lecturers
Core Learning Materials
Your learning experience will be enhanced and supported by our unique core learning materials.
Once you begin you will be provided with your own set – this extensive learning resource includes high-quality texts, exercises, workbooks and additional online support through our learning platform MyPlace. In addition, you will receive key textbooks for the programme – essential reading, as recommended by our faculty.
Knowledge & Information Portal (KIP)
The learning resources available to you from the KIP include access to a wide range of databases, e-books and e-journals all available 24/7 from anywhere in the world. Information, help and advice on current business, management, company, industry, market and country data are provided. 24/7 help is available via telephone and email.
KIP has a portfolio of electronic databases, many of which are also available online through the SBS intranet – Amadeus, Dow Jones and Fame, to name but a few. These databases provide the full text of journal articles and information on companies, and a ‘real-time’ Reuters terminal is also available, extending the provision of company news and financial data.
The Strathclyde MBA is offered as an Executive MBA at all international centres (include Zurich), this entails a part-time teaching structure and the average age of our students is around 38.
The Strathclyde EMBA in Zurich has two intakes per year, one starting in April and the other in October.
The programme is launched with an initial intensive seminar (Programme Seminar/Learning Manager and/or Business Game).
This is followed by regular two or three-day seminars (about twice a month, on a weekend). You can stay 100% in your job while you are doing the Strathclyde MBA. Participants are required to complete a range of preparatory tasks and readings both from published materials and materials specially commissioned by Strathclyde Business School before seminars. In each subject, the seminars are led by faculty from the University of Strathclyde Business School and will focus on the key theories, principles, case studies, and practical applications of the area under discussion.
- Programme Seminar
- Teambuilding Exercise
- Operations Management
- Analytical Support for Decision Making
- Managing People in Organisations
- Comparative Corporate Governance
- The Learning Manager
- Finance & Financial Management
- Financial & Management Accounting
- Marketing Management
- Exploring the International Business Environment
- Strategy Analysis & Evaluation
- Making Strategy
- Strategic Consulting in Practice
- Entrepreneurial Management & Leadership
- Elective 1
- Elective 2
- Information & Technology Management
- Project Methodology - Project
The format of delivery thus gives students the opportunity to discuss management issues and the practical implementation of strategic options and, at the same time, provides on-going support in the development of communication skills.
At the end of the semester, there is a round of examinations. Three exams after the first semester and another three after the second semester.
In the second year, students can spend up to two weeks in Glasgow or two long weekends at one of our 8 international centres with Executive MBA students from all over the world choosing from the wealth of electives Strathclyde provides.
During the same year, you will also concentrate on Strathclyde's core competency - Strategic Management for Sustainable Success - through attending 3 workshops in the areas of
- Exploring the International Business Environment
- Strategy-Analysis and Evaluation
- Making Strategy
and the live consulting exercise:
- Strategic Consulting in Practice (SCiP)
Also during the second year, students undertake a project for example within the organisation they work for.
With its 8 international centres located in Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Dubai, Oman, Abu Dhabi, Bahrain, Athens and Zurich, it gives you the possibility to take part of your EMBA programme in one of the other centres.
Being sent abroad while you are still studying for your Executive MBA is no problem in the Strathclyde system. You have the following options to continue:
- continue your EMBA at one of the locations of our international centres
- switch to the flexible learning route (a mixture between distance learning and only a few compulsory seminars on our main campus)
- if you are transferred to the UK you might want to join our full-time MBA route.
(Transfer between routes and/or changes to study methods will be subject to academic approval, recalculation of fees and availability.)
Whatever route you choose to acquire the Strathclyde EMBA, the content of our programme is identical at all locations and in all study modes and of course, your final degree will be the same irrespective of the route you chose.
Of course, the Strathclyde EMBA also allows you to modify the pace of study for career or personal reasons. The majority of participants complete the programme within 2 years here in Switzerland. However, you may extend this to a maximum of 6 years.